Stefan Kruger Scholarship
About the Scholarship
The Fine Music Sydney Stefan Kruger Scholarship supports young, outstanding individuals further their career in the field of classical music. This annual scholarship is made possible through the generous bequest of passionate music lover, Dr Stefan Kruger.
The scholarship is valued at $13,000, with a cash component of $8000. The scholarship recipient will also receive support through Fine Music Sydney, with access to recording and broadcasting services and marketing support ($5000 value).
The project must not commence prior to 1 January 2022 and must be completed by 31 December 2022.
To enter applicants must be:
* Between the ages of 21 and 30 on 1 July in the year of application
* An Australian citizen, with a principal residence in Sydney and its environs
Applications open 1 July and close 31 July 2021.
Applicants must complete and submit all materials using the online entry form. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants must provide the names and contact details of two referees who have worked with the applicant in an educational or professional field. Written references and testimonials will not be accepted.
A budget indicating how the $8000 cash component will be spent, highlighting any other support the applicant has secured or aims to secure for the project.
Provide a link(s) to unedited recordings of the applicant’s performance or broadcast. It must demonstrate the applicant’s ability to perform in relation to the application. It does not need to be part of a proposed final concert performance or project work.
Supporting documentation including musical sketches and scores to show proof of concept for a proposed project.
If selected as a finalist, the applicant must be available for a follow-up interview or audition. If the applicant is not able to attend an interview in person during that week, due to extenuating circumstances, an alternative telephone, Zoom or Skype interview may be arranged (at the discretion of the Chair of the Judging panel).
The applicant will be required to sign an agreement with Fine Music Sydney acknowledging and accepting the Terms and Conditions governing the Fine Music Sydney Stefan Kruger Scholarship (see here).
The scholarship is not a performance competition and will be awarded to the applicant who best meets the following criteria:
- The applicant has actively demonstrated the interest, commitment and potential to have a viable career in the performance or composition of classical music.
- The applicant has identified a detailed project or activity with the potential to significantly enhance the applicant’s career.
- The applicant has effectively demonstrated the potential value of the scholarship in terms of realising their project and proceeding with the project on a timely basis.
- The applicant has demonstrated how they envisage involving Fine Music in the project in addition to broadcasting opportunities and how they will acknowledge the station’s support.